Thursday, September 22, 2016

Skittles


Donald Trump Jr. set off a Twitter tempest with a tweet likening Syrian refugees to poisonous Skittles candy.

The meme, sent by Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump's son, used poorly punctuated language to say, "If I had a bowl of skittles and I told you just three would kill you. [sic] Would you take a handful? That's our Syrian refugee problem."

That set off a flurry of accusations that Trump Jr. was diminishing the seriousness of the refugee crisis, which is currently the subject of a United Nations summit in New York. There were also claims of plagiarism, some grammatical corrections and plenty of criticism.


1 comment:

  1. Are the other skittles human lives?

    Like. Is there a good chance. A really good chance. I would be saving someone from a war zone and probably their life if I ate a skittle?

    If so then I would eat the skittles.

    I would GORGE myself on skittles. I would eat every single skittle I could find. I would STUFF myself with skittles.

    And when I found the poison skittle and died I would make sure to leave behind a legacy of children and of friends who also ate skittle after skittle until there were no skittles to be eaten.

    And each person who found the poison skittle we would weep for. We would weep for their loss, for their sacrifice, and for the fact that they did not let themselves succumb to fear but made the world a better place by eating skittles.

    Because your REAL question...the one hidden behind an inaccurate, insensitive, dehumanizing racist candy metaphor is : "IS MY LIFE MORE IMPORTANT THAN THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS OF MEN, WOMEN, AND TERRIFIED CHILDREN..."

    ... and what kind of monster would think the answer to that question... is yes?

    ReplyDelete